We all wish our hair looked like this, right? If you're lucky, yours does. But for the many of us who abuse the crap out of our hair with blow-drying, heat styling, teasing, etc, we long for the style AND the healthy look. When you're always heat styling, etc, it can be hard to have radiant, healthy locks. I've recently been trying to get my hair into a better condition, and there are so many easy, small things you can do with your hair routine that make the biggest difference! Here are a few of my tips:
1. Just like curling, blow-drying, etc., using hot water to rinse your hair can be damaging. Rinse your hair with cool water. Bonus: it helps tame frizz.
2. Washing too frequently is another factor that can dry your hair out and take away it's natural shine! My hair tends to begin to get oily every 24 hours. But it's certainly not way too greasy . If you can, wash every other day, blotting excess oil with powder or dry shampoo on the day you don't wash. Sometimes, dry shampoo doesn't cut it for a nice event, but try to give your hair a couple of days off during the week.
3. Don't brush your hair when it is sopping wet. This can realllllly damage your hair. I shower at night before bed so that I am not rushing to do so in the mornings, and I was guilty of this. Leave your hair alone until it is about 80% dry before brushing.
4. When you can help it, don't blow dry your hair. Let it air dry! This is so much healthier, and I found it doesn't take too long, and I have LONG hair.
5. When you must blow dry, use a blow-dry spray to heat protect your hair. We all know to use heat protectant when heat styling, but most dont think about blow-drying!
6. Tie your hair into a ponytail at night. Trust me.
7. Use good products. Find a shampoo and conditioner that suit your hair's needs.
8. Deep condition. I like to deep condition twice a week. You can purchase a deep conditioner, or make your own! If you want to mix your own, take 3 egg yolks, equal parts olive oil and mayonaise, and mix them up. Apply this to your hair, and pile your hair on top of your head. I reccomend putting a plastic bag over your head. Leave on for 30 minutes, and rinse well! No need to shampoo afterwards!
9. If you can, avoid heat styling a couple of times a week. Like I mentioned, giving your hair a break will do it good. There are tons of heat-free styles to do that are cute, minus the damage!
10. Get frequent trims, and if you can, sleep on a satin pillowcase.
11. When coloring your hair, get it professionally done. You'd be suprised at the damage you can do at home. Leave it to the pros.
12. Wear a hat protectant when you go out in the sun. Even if you aren't heat styling, it's important to wear a protectant spray when you go in the sun. The sun is heat, afterall! Most people don't think of that, however.
By really sticking to this and following these tips, your hair should improve dramatically. Even if you find you do most of these, maybe there's one you didn't think about! Be nice to your hair, and it will return the favor by looking radiant! :)
X's and O's,