Friday, November 23, 2012

Review: The 30 Day Shred Program

Hello beautiful ones!


So yesterday, I had a little accomplishment...  I completed the 30 Day Shred by Jillian Michaels!
I feel so, so good, and couldn't be happier with the results! I wanted to thouroughly review this program, and hopefully inspire some of you to give it a try!

What it is:

The 30 Day Shred is an exercise program designed by Jillian Michaels. The goal of the program is to get you "shredded" in 30 days time. It consists of three levels, each lasting ten days. Each workout is 20 minutes long ( a few minutes extra with warm up and cool down), and is set up in circuit training. There are three circuits per workout : 3 minutes strength, 2 minutes cardio, 1 minute of abs. This program claims that you can lose up to 20 pounds in 30 days.

How I did it:

The program reccomends that you do not take any days off for resting. I followed this, and I feel like I got fit faster. I felt pretty sore at first, but it is your body trying to get used to the new workouts! I think your body adapts faster if you just push throught the soreness. I really enjoyed that the workout was only 20 minutes long, it was super easy to fit in to my sometimes hectic schedule! As far as diet, I already eat very clean and healthy due to my Celiac Disease, so there was not really any modifications. I did try to be more concious of portions, though. I lost ten pounds on this program, got toned, and I feel so much stronger and fitter now! I couldn't be happier, but I am also aware that this program is more of a kickstart to a better lifestyle, and I will need to continue to exercise to maintain results.

Here are the pros/ cons of the program:

Pros:
~Very short, is easy to fit into any schedule
~ Can be watched from Youtube, so it is free if you choose!
~ requires very little equipment. You only need 2-5 pound weights. I used 2, and it seemed too easy at times, but defintely provided enough resistance.
~ It isn't a super long term program
~ It offers beginner modifications for most of the exercises, so it's perfect for people new to exercise or with injuries.

Cons:
~ The specific diet plan is only available if you are a paid member of Jillian's website.

My tips if you try the program:

~ Don't skip days, even if you're sore. Pushing through it will cause your body to change faster.
~ Weigh yourself before you begin the program, but do not get on the scale for at least 2 weeks. I made this mistake of getting on the scale day 5, and was horrified to see that I gained 4 pounds! I later learned that this is because your muscles swell up and gain mass faster than fat goes away, but you will start noticing results shortly afterwards!
~ Don't deprive yourself, but do exercise portion control.

I would reccomend this program to anyone looking to get a good kickstart to a fit healthy lifestyle! It's easy and anyone can do it! If you have any questions, or want the youtube links to the videos, let me know! Happy Shredding :)

X's and O's,
Amanda

No comments:

Post a Comment