Thursday, January 19, 2012

Beauty is in the Eye of the Beholder.

Hello Hello! :)
First off, I want to apologize for not updating in a few days. My flights to Germany were all delayed, and I am horribly jet lagged. All things aside, I am finally here, and my adventure begins!:)

There's a topic that has been brought to my attention alot recently, and I've been feeling it alot as well. So I wanted to ask you guys: are you 100% happy with your looks?
If you answered yes... i'm going to go out on a limb and say that's probably not 100% true. Sure, many of you are probably happy with your appearance, but we all have things about ourselves that we consider to be flaws. For example, I have very short legs. I have always wished for them to be longer and leaner. I am also self concious because I am very busty, and I think that it makes me look top heavy in photos. I have never spoken to a person who loves every single inch of themselves. We all have aspects of ourselves that we wish we could change, or that they would disappear. I have been kind of depressed about my body lately, wishing I could be thinner, more attractive, etc.

Then, reality hit me. This is the body that god gave me. This is the body I am going to have for the rest of my life, and if I don't begin to love and accept it, my life is going to be miserable. I started to put things into perspective. I wish to be thinner, but the reality is, I am at a healthy weight, and I wear medium sized clothing. I have a gorgeous boyfriend who thinks the same of me. So why do I end up feeling so insecure about my looks?

We all know that models and actresses are airbrushed a thousand times over before their photos grace the pages of magazines. Actresses spend hours in makeup before appearing on camera. They all look flawless. Their skin is perfect, their hair is glossy, their smiles are perfectly white, they don't have a hint of cellulite or fat, their nails are perfectly manicured, their outfits perfect. But even though we know that they undergo hours of makeup and airbrushing, we tend to forget and compare ourselves to them anyways. We even see real life people who we perceive to be more attractive then ourselves, and endlessly compare ourselves. Comparing yourself is one of the most destructive things you can do to yourself. When you do, you are only making yourself feel down, and ruining your own confidence. You are also forgetting that the person you think is so flawless has things about him or herself that they feel insecure about.

Like I mentioned before, you better make peace with yourself, because there is only one of you, and you're stuck in your body forever. Having confidence and loving yourself is beautiful. There is also beauty in personality. Maybe your tummy isn't so flat, but you are the most forgiving person in the world. Maybe your skin isn't perfect, but you enjoy helping others. Just because you will never be a supermodel does not mean you aren't beautiful. The most beautiful girl in the world who is also selfish and mean, has an ugly heart.

So instead of comapring ourselves to others and moping around about our looks, start finding things about yourself that you love and focus on those things. Surround yourself with people who love you for you, and remember that confidence is the most beautiful thing in the world. Underneath a beautiful person, is a beautiful heart. What makes you feel beautiful?
X's and O's,
Amanda

No comments:

Post a Comment